It seems to me that most Protestants are always (or usually) looking for something fresh and new in what God is saying and doing in the world. What is the latest trend, the latest technique?
Catholics and Orthodox on the other hand are always (or often) celebrating the past of what God has done. What are the traditions we need to hold on to?
We need each other to maintain the balance! Perhaps that's what God has had in mind all the time.
1 comment:
What God has said and done in the past is available to us through His word and the testimonies of others (coupled with our own experience with Him).
This in turn gives us a tool to "filter" what we or others are experiencing or can expect to experience. My experience with God has never contridicted my past experience with Him or the bible. I do not mean to say that every experience I or others have had or are having with God is verified by the word or past. Sometimes I am very uncertain of what He is saying or doing. That is when I wait...Or act on faith! This happens more times than I like. (Maybe I do not like to "exercise" my faith and He helps me "workout").
If we rely totally on tradition we risk becoming pharisees. If we are always looking for and following the newest trend we risk becoming heretics. As you have said, "Balance"!
Post a Comment